Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Notebooks of a chile verde smuggler

p.174-end

"It usually happens when I hear someone talking in Espanol. You see, I don't do Espanol either. I use to do Espanol, but it got me in a lot of trouble."

-This quote is rather interesting because he writes in spanish so much in the entire book and now you see that he doesn’t really like it. By saying that it got him in trouble kind of shows that the American culture over whelmed him in a way that he couldn’t speak his own language any more. The way he says it, it seems like he doesn’t care and he does it just because it’s easier.

“One quick flash of the hands. It was a mother thing. She blessed me one too many times. She crossed her tiny hands over my face so. I saw through the mountain furnace –this old road of lives and cross blossoms and unturned stones.”

-I found this quote really nice because it talks about his mother and how no matter what he does she will always love him and care about him. It also shows that he made many mistakes, but even after all of them, his mother forgave him. This quote takes place in the cemetery and he sees all the people pasted away and how they moved on to another place.

No comments: